Proper Oral Hygiene for Los Angeles Orthodontic Patients
Brushing and flossing your teeth is always important, but even more so during orthodontic treatment. Braces, wires, springs and rubber bands attract food and plaque very easily. This means that it is easy to fall into a trap of staining, tooth decay, gum disease and bad breath.
It can be difficult to fully clean your teeth and gums when using braces (unless you use Invisalign), and it requires careful brushing and flossing. It is essential that you brush after each meal and snack to avoid white spots on your teeth and bad hygiene. Here are some tips to keeping your mouth clean during your orthodontic treatment:
- Interdental Toothbrushes: Interdental toothbrushes are an excellent option in cleaning your teeth and gums. When brushing, make sure you clean both underneath and around your braces for optimal results.
- Antibacterial Mouthwashes: Antibacterial mouthwashes such as hydrogen-peroxide help reduce inflammation in your cheeks and gums. Rinses can help prevent infection, irritation, scrapes and sores.
- Flouride: A fluoride mouthwash is very effective in reaching places that your toothbrush simply can’t. Furthermore, they also replace the tooth-enamel minerals that can erode due to your teeth’s exposure to harmful acids.
- Eat Sensibly: Avoid foods such as apples or bagels that are tough to bite, chewy foods such as caramel and hard foods like pretzels or popcorn. Do not use chewing gum.
- Flossing: You will need a floss threader or superfloss in order floss effectively.
Brushing & Flossing
|Brush after every meal.|
|Use a toothbrush with a small amount of toothpaste.||Use circular, vibrating motions around the|
gumline for about 10 seconds on each tooth.
|Brush every tooth slowly.||Brush the lower teeth up and the upper teeth down. Also brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth.|
|Floss nightly after brushing to remove the plaque missed by brushing.|
|Carefully pull waxed floss between wire|
|Floss carefully around the braces.|
|Floss carefully around the gum area.||Floss around each tooth.|
|Proper Oral Hygiene||Improper Brushing and Flossing|
Get the latest oral hygiene tips by calling (310) 444-1113 or email to schedule a free consultation, now serving patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica.